Welsh Government Introduce Firebreak period
On Monday 19th October First Minister Mark Drakeford announced that the Welsh Government is introducing a two-week Lockdown to commence 6pm Friday 23rd October. This ‘Firebreak’ period is intended to break the rapidly increasing spread of coronavirus in Wales.
The new lockdown will begin this Friday October 23rd and continue to Monday November 9th.
“The fortnight-long action is needed to save lives and prevent the NHS from being overwhelmed.”
From Friday the new rules state people must stay at home, except for very limited purposes, people must not visit other households or meet other people they do not live with, certain businesses and venues, including bars, restaurants and most shops must close, secondary schools will be closed for an additional week after half term, face coverings continue to be mandatory in the indoor public spaces that remain open.
See further information here: https://gov.wales/coronavirus-circuit-break-frequently-asked-questions
Should I shield again?
At present Welsh Government is not advising people to shield again. However those classified as extremely vulnerable to Coronavirus and are on the ‘shielding list’, should soon receive a letter from the NHS with the latest information and advice.
In the meantime, here is a reminder of guidance on how to keep safe:
- Keep contacts outside the household to a minimum and avoid all situations either inside or outside where you are not able to maintain a physical distance of 2m from those outside your household.
- Utilise priority shopping slots for supermarkets or shop at quieter times of day
- Wash your hands for 20 seconds with soap and water regularly and use hand sanitiser where hand washing facilities are not available
- Avoid touching surfaces that have been touched by others.
Update 22/10/2020 – Latest advice from Welsh Government for people who have been shielding, letters should arrive on Monday https://gov.wales/written-statement-new-letter-chief-medical-officer-wales-those-who-were-previously-shielding
What questions do you have about the firebreak lockdown?
We understand people with kidney disease, particularly those who are classified as extremely vulnerable (people who were previously shielding), will have a lot of questions and we want to help.
If you do have questions or need guidance please contact our Patient Information & Support Manager, Brett Dowds. E-mail Brett@kidneywales.cymru
Links to further information
- Welsh Government fire break lockdown FAQs: https://gov.wales/coronavirus-circuit-break-frequently-asked-questions
- Welsh Government guidance for people who have been shielding: https://gov.wales/guidance-on-shielding-and-protecting-people-defined-on-medical-grounds-as-extremely-vulnerable-from-coronavirus-covid-19-html
- FAQs – https://gov.wales/protecting-people-defined-medical-grounds-extremely-vulnerable-coronavirus-covid-19-previously
- Kidney Care UK Coronavirus guidance for people with kidney disease: https://www.kidneycareuk.org/news-and-campaigns/coronavirus-advice/