Joint Committee for Vaccination and Immunisation COVID-19 Vaccine Booster Update
Recently, the Joint Committee for Vaccination and Immunisation [JCVI] published interim advice as we move into Phase 3 of the COVID-19 Vaccination programme. The advice is aiming to provide direction for the next steps towards deployment in stages and clarity around the much discussed autumn booster vaccination campaign.
Priority groups for the third booster dose of the vaccine have been categorised into two stages.
The following persons should be offered a third dose, COVID-19 booster vaccine, and the annual influenza vaccine, as soon as possible from September 2021:
- Adults aged 16 years and over who are immunosuppressed
- Those living in residential care homes for older adults
- All adults aged 70 years or over
- Adults aged 16 years and over who are considered clinically extremely vulnerable
- Frontline health and social care workers
The following persons should be offered a third dose COVID-19 booster vaccine as soon as practicable after Stage 1, with equal emphasis on deployment of the influenza vaccine where eligible:
- All adults aged 50 years and over
- Adults aged 16 – 49 years who are in an influenza or COVID-19 at-risk group
- Adult household contacts of immunosuppressed individuals
Apart from the current UK approved COVID-19 vaccines, the UK has placed orders for a range of other COVID-19 vaccines, some of which may become available for use in the booster programme. JCVI will review the use of these vaccines once they have received UK regulatory approval. Vaccines designed specifically against variants of concern will not be available in time for this revaccination phase in the autumn and will be considered by JCVI over the coming months.
NHS Wales has been planning on the assumption of a September/October booster for cohorts 1-9, with around a 6 month gap following a second dose and health boards have submitted their initial plans on this basis.
Read the full statement here: https://gov.wales/written-statement-covid-19-vaccination-jcvi-announcement-phase-3